In the southeast of Muunfel, Synka and Heptaena are separated by a ridge of mountains called the Dragonrest Mountains. Most travelers can find their way through these mountains with a guide and following the trails, and most don’t have much inclination to try to climb too high.
The dragons that come there to sleep aren’t often friendly to anyone who wakes them up, accident or not. They are more understanding when they come down among the people, and simply request that their rest not be disturbed in return.
Muunfel is a broad continent with a few climate zones. The island as a whole has three notable offshoots defining part of its shape:
- Scytheshadow Cape to the southeast; forms a significant bay and has a view of the Dragonrest mountains, a very jagged and tall range that forms the border between the Timewilds and Heptaena.
- Meraev; the crescent-shaped home of the solians is an island connected to the mainland by a narrow strait in the southwestern region of Muunfel, and its point very nearly touches the southern shore of Genfierz, forming the Moondrop sea between them.
- Sun’s Escape Archipelago; an icy collection of islands extending from the north of the continent, these reach into the arctic latitudes and are thus largely unexplored.
The geographical regions within Muunfel’s borders include:
- The vast mixed forests of the Faelands, taking up much of the northeastern quadrant of the continent. A smaller deciduous forest stands nearly in the middle of the continent, and is part of the Faelands despite being disconnected from the main forest.
- Purin Lake in the middle, a vast body of water that, in addition to the smaller Faeland exclave, separates the southwestern wilds of Genfierz from the north.
- Matton Desert to the west, a vast and unforgiving land that is bordered on the north by a long, narrow mountain range and to the east and west by more fertile farmlands.
- The Godstep Plateaus in the far north, where the gods are said to have done battle with one another before.
Muunfel (my setting in a high fantasy project and the focus of my world building June for 2017) is the Land of the Gods, the one continent where the gods are known to walk the earth and give their blessings (and their fury) in person. Empires of mortals have come and gone on its surface throughout the ages. In the Year of Vayla* 2219, there are 8 countries:
- Korvasin, the Fallen Empire
- Rutan, the Rebel Kingdom
- Meraev, the Solian’s Domain
- The War-Torn Crown
- Genfierz, the Clockwork Kingdom
- Heptaena, the Bleak Elflands
- Synka, the Timewilds
- Faeland, the Fair Kingom
*Vayla, goddess of time, is the keeper of memories and gives names to the ages